Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Quilting Bees

They always say that the first born receives the most gifts (especially handmade ones) and the subsequent children get less and less fanfare. Not so for this family. Jonas received quite a few wonderful hand knit sweaters and blankets, but in the past month Caleb has received not one, but two amazingly beautiful quilts. Perhaps quilting is the new knitting?














The first is from my best childhood friend Devon. I had no idea it was even in the works and was moved to tears when she gave it to us. Caleb likes to roll around on it every morning as part of his tummytime. It's got fun prints of monkeys, bananas, balls, and plenty of red and polka dots. We have already done the "does it survive the spit up test?" and it passed with flying colors emerging from the washer/dryer fresh and cuddly as ever.













The second is sort of the first too because shortly after becoming pregnant I started harassing my dear college friend Rhea to make me a quilt. We picked out some fabrics together in New York and traded emails and ideas. I think in my enthusiasm I gave her a bit of anxiety about coming up with something chic. It's so much fun to talk about a creative project and not actually have to do it :) Somehow between being a mother, corporate lawyer, wife, friend and knitter, she completed this exquisite quilt. What I find so fun is how different the two are. I'm letting the boys play with this one then hanging it above Caleb's crib to admire it a bit more.













Thank you so much ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment